Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Part 2: I can't believe there's a Chinese restaurant in Fogo

After a glorious night's sleep, Paula cooked us an amazing breakfast of bacon, eggs, and toast with a side of fishcakes (mixture of whitefish and potato formed into patties and pan-fried). Luuurv fishcakes. Crispy on the outside and soft and pillowy on the inside with a slight salty taste of fish.



Later in the day, we went on a long drive around the island hoping to see icebergs, whales, or caribou, but it was a tad too foggy and rainy. Nevertheless, we saw the fishery where Paula bought the crab, interesting old houses, graveyards with tombstones dating back to the 1800s, and the tiniest post office I've ever see. I love post offices.







Now, people say that there is a Chinese restaurant in every town in the world and now I believe it. Kwang Tung, Fogo Island's only Chinese restaurant, is just a stone's throw (literally) from Paula's house and and is run by a Chinese woman and her son. We picked up a few combos for an early dinner.



I wanted so badly to take pictures inside the restaurant, but I thought that might appear patronizing so I abstained. The restaurant is in a small, converted house. When you walk in, you're immediately in the middle of the dining room and there is a tiny window cut between this room and the kitchen where you pass your money through and receive your order. I took a picture of the menu in case you're ever in the area and want to plan ahead. On the flipside of this menu is some North American specialties, including sandwiches, burgers, and steaks, but I heard that the best thing to order is the Chinese food, so I'll leave that picture out. Blogger keeps inserting it sideways anyway.




Paula and I had the Kwang Tung Specialty C (egg roll, garlic spareribs, chicken fried rice, chicken guy ding) while the husbands both had Specialty A (garlic spareribs, fried rice, sweet and sour chicken). Oh, you know you love it -- Chinese Canadian food. Good in that guilty pleasure kind of way. The spareribs were fantastic, but we were all a little disappointed that the egg rolls had actual recognizable vegetables and meat in them instead of that uniform meat paste. I love that meat paste.




You might think that after all that food we couldn't possibly have dessert, but you'd be wrong. Paula and I had these peanut/coconut/chocolate-covered things bought at the grocery store with a side of vanilla ice cream and brownie.



At the same time, Darcy enjoyed the local brew, Black Horse, which doesn't have such a great reputation, but he really enjoyed it. We all plunked down on the couch with our respective treats, half watched the U.S. Open, and indulged in the comfort of hanging out with old, old friends.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time you go out for dinner, I want to come. You always make it sound SO yummy!

Kaori said...

I'm going to hold you to that, missy!