Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Black-Boned Chicken

I ran into my Chinese neighbour, Jasmine, on the bus tonight and she had just come from Chinatown where she bought a black-boned chicken. I'd never seen or heard of these before. They are small chickens with black skin, meat, and bones. She said that they are lean, even under the skin, and they are 'good for women', especially one week before and one week after 'that time of the month'.

I did a little cursory research and I read that they've been raised in China for the past 2,000 years and now there are several different kinds. Some have black feathers; some have white, but you can tell if its bones are black by looking at its tongue (black tongue = black bones). Their feathers are silky, almost like fur, and in the States among other countries they are kept as pets. Silly Americans.

I've never seen anything like it before. It was so cool. I can't imagine what black meat and bones look like. If you're curious and want to try one, Jasmine bought hers at Hua Sheng Supermarket at 293 Spadina Ave. I may have to go get one myself.

No comments: