Friday, May 4, 2007

Flatiron and Firkin

On Thursday, I unexpectedly went to the Flatiron and Firkin for Matt's resignation lunch. Matt has been at my company for 5 years now and he's a sweet guy, so we had around 25 people.



We all sat on the patio at a long table and I wondered if they were actually going to try to have all of our food ready at the same time. They did try, so it took about 1-1/2 hours for it to arrive. I've been watching so many behind-the-scenes restaurant shows on the Food Network that I pictured this endless ticker tape coming out of the order printer in the kitchen and the cooks trying to choreograph finishing 25 plates simultaneously.



The Flatiron and Firkin is one many 'Firkin' pubs across the GTA. The food is typical pub fare (burgers, sandwiches, fish and chips, curry, salads, etc.) and it's definitely a safe choice for a large group lunch -- there's something mediocre for everyone.



I'd been eating out so much this week that I thought I would take it easy and have a soda water and a spinach and mushroom salad. The spinach was remarkably fresh and the hard-boiled eggs were just right (no green tint around the yolk from overcooking). The mushrooms were old though and the promised bacon bits were absent. For a pub though, it was pretty good. And I felt so virtuous. So much so that I stole a few of Tanya's fries, which were great actually. They were those thick, skinless ones that are probably frozen. I love those.

If you're downtown and you're entertaining a large group or dining with finicky eaters, this is the place for you.

No comments: