Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Trimurti was great; e-DENTITY...was not

My company sweetly gave all employees complimentary tickets to e-DENTITY, which is playing at the Royal Alexandra Theatre from now until May 20. I'm always up for a free show, so I went with Tanya, Amanda, and Jessica.

Before the show, we went to dinner at
Trimurti, an Indian place on Queen West. This is the first time I've gone for Indian food since the trip in November and it was excellent. We had a mixed appetizer plate (chicken pakoras, samosas, vegetable pakoras, chicken tikkas), Murgh Afghani (chicken marinated in cashew paste, cream, and yogurt), Gosht Dansak (lamb with lentils), Chana Masala (chickpeas and potatoes) Saag Paneer (cottage cheese and spinach), naan, and basmati rice. The Murgh Afgani was especially good. The chicken was incredibly tender with a slight tang from the yogurt. The Chana Masala was nice and spicy and the lamb was perfectly decent. The only thing I could have done without was the Saag Paneer, which ironically was my choice. The cheese was a bit tough and the sauce was coarse and bland. The naan, however, was searing hot, flaky, and delicious. Overall, it was an wonderful meal and the bill came to under $20/person.

After such a great dinner, I was looking forward to a great show, but I think that was too much to ask. The show was, in a word, terrible. I think they wanted it to be a cutting edge display of how technology is shaping our everyday lives, but it was so incredibly boring, poorly acted, and miserably choreographed. The 'storylines' weren't even that current. This script could have been written 15 years ago.

The
Toronto Star theatre critic, Richard Ouzounian, absolutely hates almost everything he sees, including stuff that I have loved (e.g. Hair at Canstage last year). I can't imagine what he will say about this play. He may have a meltdown right there in the theatre.

It was very nice of my company to give us the free tickets. I don't want to seem ungrateful, but it was shockingly bad. Dinner was excellent though.

No comments: