Tuesday, March 6, 2007

I can't believe I bought tickets to see Phantom of the Opera

Ugh, buyer's remorse. When I found out that Phantom of the Opera was going to be put on by Mirvish this year, I thought I might like to go. My dad bought the soundtrack back when I was a kid and my dreamy, teenage self listened to it constantly. I was so hyped up for actually seeing it in person that when the time came (in university, I think, although I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it or whom I went with), I was on the edge of my seat and cried through the whole thing.

My sister is coming down at the end of March, so I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to go since Darcy would rather die. So, I bought the only pair of tickets left (and only available to Amex cardholders -- you should get one just for this purpose) for $100/each plus service charge and they aren't even the best seats in the house. Am I going to see U2?

I thought of all the less glitzy theatre companies I could have patronized instead, like
Soulpepper and CanStage, and saw something more interesting for a fraction of the price. Soulpepper is now located in the charming Distillery District, which is a lovely place to spend an evening (although don't eat there. It's totally overpriced and underwhelming).

Alas, tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable. I kind of thought that going to see it would be sort of like visiting Montreal in the summer -- it would make me feel 21 again. I know. I know. Well, I'm going to go and enjoy. I'm going to positively wallow in the cheesiness. It'll be the equivalent of eating icing right out of the jar.

No comments: